Saturday, June 17, 2006

That's a lot of poopy diapers!

So, I'm watching a show on Discovery Health Channel about a couple who have twins, then had sextuplets. She has PCOS (luckily, one infertility problem I DON'T have) and they did IF treatments to get pregnant. They weren't specific on the show, but I have to assume it was IUI (Intra-Uterine Insemination) both times.

I just can't get over this feeling that this was so irresponsible of the couple and of their doctor to allow them to go ahead with the IUI if she was producing so many follicles. Their first IUI worked and gave them twins, they shouldn't have allowed the IUI with more than 3 follicles. Originally, she was pregnant with septuplets (7 babies at once) but they lost one of them. I understand that the couple was against selective reduction, that's their choice (and luckily, so far in this country we still have that choice) but come on! There's no way you can give each of those children the attention they deserve.

This brings me to another more famous large family. That family (forget the name off the top of my head) with 15 children and she's pregnant again with #16!!!!!! I'm not trying to say people can't have as many children as they are able to provide for, this family seems to be doing a decent job of providing material things for their brood. But, I wonder, are they being provided with a quality childhood? The older siblings are 'mini-moms' to the younger ones and the younger ones are being raised by siblings more than the parents. I just have a problem with that. Don't get me wrong, my grandmother had 10 children (I, apparently, didn't inherit her fertility) so I am a product of a large family. Had my grandparents stopped at the traditional 3-4 kids, my mom wouldn't be here, and neither would I, but still, I can't get past this feeling that it's irresponsible and selfish. I'm sure someone is going to read this and be offended by that, and I guess that's fine. They don't have to agree with me, but this is how I feel and this is my blog.

1 comment:

moi said...

Isn't it jsut crazy? I watch those shows with those families and just shake my head. BOY do I hear you!!