Sunday, October 15, 2006

A year ago...

This post was inspired by Heather over at BigP and Me. A year ago I was starting to get frustrated at my body. My cycles had been like clockwork ever since NSWO was born. I hardly monitored anything. I'd mark cd1 on my calendar and count out 26 days and make a note: AF? on what day I could expect as my next cd1. Around cd11-12, I'd make a note of ewcm if/when I noticed it and that was it. Then, in July, that all changed. I was getting ready to POAS on an OPK on cd9 and holy crap! AF is here already? Yes, I had an 8 day cycle. Well, that's just not normal, so out of storage came the ol' thermometer, you know the purple one made by BD that lights up so you can read it in the dark. I hadn't used that thing since we were TTC NWSO. My cycles haven't been 'normal' for more than 1-2 cycles in a row since. Either I'd ovulate late, or not at all, then the next cycle, on time.

A year ago, I went into my OBGYN for my annual pap smear and pelvic exam. I brought up my wonky cycles and she blew me off. "I've had my cycles thrown off from very small stressors, I'm sure it's fine." Boy was she wrong! I pushed for Clomid anyway and she obliged me but didn't monitor me at all. I should have insisted on cd3 ultrasounds to check for cysts and bloodwork to check hormone levels before we ever started messing around with fertility drugs. My bad, but I didn't know better. Heck, I didn't even see why I should see an RE, it's not like I was infertile or anything, I was just having wonky cycles. All I needed was to ensure ovulation and I'd be pregnant in no time. That's just what my OBGYN thought too. In fact, she told me she was sure I'd be pregnant before the 3 rounds of clomid were up. I wasn't.

A year ago, I was starting to think about preschools and deciding which one I should enroll NSWO into. Montessori seemed like such a great idea, and then I saw how much it costs! Um, yeah, we'll go to one closer to home. It's a co-op with the local community college so parents 'work' in the classroom one day per month. Technically, I'm enrolled in a parent education class at the college and the classroom time is my lab time. NSWO loves it and we love it too. Plus, it's waaaaaay cheaper than Montessori - we'll save that money for college where it will make a bigger difference.

A year ago, I never dreamed I'd be here now and not pregnant.

How about you, where were you a year ago?

No comments: